The Honorable Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Barr. Ezenwo Nyesom Wike, has dismissed widespread rumors about his collapse and transfer abroad for treatment, stating they are baseless and simply without foundation.
Speaking to journalists in Abuja on Thursday following a routine inspection of ongoing infrastructure projects scheduled for commissioning in May to mark President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s second anniversary in office, Barr. Wike categorically denied the allegations, saying they were false.
He attributed the spread of these rumors to political machinations, pointing the finger in particular at those he said were trying to divert attention from the serious allegations of planned attacks on state property, including the Rivers State House of Assembly, as revealed by a former head of the Rivers State government.
He stated: “The former head of the Rivers State government informed the public of a plan to bomb the House of Assembly and attack state property. To divert attention, they spread rumors that I had been transferred abroad. I never fainted and I was never transferred abroad.”
The minister stated that he was focused on his work of ensuring good governance in the Capital Territory and would not be distracted by such unfounded rumors.
Bar. Wike emphasized his continued public engagement, citing his presence at the President’s Iftar and his leadership of Abuja residents during the President’s Sallah tribute as evidence of his robust health. “They see me every day. When the President broke Iftar on his birthday, I was there. The next day, I led the residents of Abuja in paying tribute to him. I see so many stories online; this is politics. We don’t worry about it. We don’t get distracted. We focus on our work.”
He thanked Nigerians for their sympathy, but warned against wishing illness on others, stressing that only God determines the time of death. “I appreciate the concern of Nigerians, but they should not wish it on their fellow human beings. We know that one day we will die. No one will stay in this world forever; only God decides the day of our death. No one can say they will die today or tomorrow. So don’t worry, I’m very quick and guarantee that I will write condolence letters to those spreading these rumors.”
Barr referred to the infrastructure projects he had inspected. Wike expressed satisfaction with the progress of the renovations at the International Conference Centre (ICC), the main N16 road in Gishiri and its junction connecting Maitama District to Katampe, as well as the Magistrates’ Building and its access roads in Katampe District.
He said: “We visited the International Conference Centre, where a lot of work has been done. They meet deadlines and deliver high-quality work. We visited Gishiri and the roads leading to the Judges’ House. I am very impressed by the quality of work and the contractors managing these projects. They can attest to the high quality of the work delivered.”
He commended the contractors, including Julius Berger and CGC, for their commitment to completing the projects on time and assured that, with the support of President Tinubu, funding would not be a problem.
He encouraged the contributors to fulfill their obligations and promised them that they would see tangible results from their contributions. “All we are saying is: those who owe taxes should pay their taxes and ask us what we are doing with taxpayers’ money. You can see what we are doing with taxpayers’ money.